This article originally appeared on LinkedIn on April 27, 2021
Two years ago, after 20-plus years working at the same company, I decided to take on a leadership role at a new organization: President of the Global Oncology Business Unit of Takeda.
While I was new to Takeda, Takeda was not new to me. I had been following the company’s progression in oncology since the acquisition of Millennium, observing from a distance as Takeda brought new therapies to market that were truly game-changing for patients. I had the feeling that they were on the brink of something special. The budding pipeline and network of dynamic partnerships, coupled with the commitment from leaders to make a difference in oncology, was inspiring. Before me was an amazing opportunity to help Takeda realize its best-in-class potential in oncology.
Now, two years later, we have reached an inflection point where we are poised to realize the potential of our pipeline and redefine what’s possible for those living with cancer. What we as a team have been able to achieve in a relatively short amount of time is nothing short of astounding:
- Challenging ourselves to think, act and execute with agility, while leveraging the resources of a larger pharmaceutical company;
- Successfully navigating a new world of work amidst a global pandemic, discovering innovative ways of working together in a virtual environment;
- Growing our team of colleagues who are diverse in thought and experience but share a common passion and drive to outsmart cancer for the good of patients worldwide;
- Ensuring that commercial and R&D are intrinsically linked – from early days all the way through to launch and availability – so that we can put the best treatments possible on the market for the patient;
- Continuing to accelerate our in-house innovation, while simultaneously seeking and nurturing complementary partnerships that enable us to unlock the most promising science wherever it emerges;
- And fighting with the conviction that while cancer is clever, so are we – and we will battle cancer with everything we have to ensure better treatments and health outcomes for the patients we serve around the globe.
During my tenure, I can proudly say that the team’s passion for pushing the boundaries of science for the good of patients everywhere is palpable. It is this focus that inspires, excites and energizes me, and it’s what will ultimately enable us to deliver on our aspiration to cure cancer. I can’t wait to see what we accomplish in the next two years!